PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 21st Feb 2009, 16:23
microCruzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My guess is that the pitch up is from pilot control input. I would like to share some perspective I have on type training. In all courses I have attended stall training is performed in one of the early simulator sessions and typically performed as something out of context that needs to be done. I respect this since it is very hard to surprise the crew by creating a stall situation. In all my courses however windshear training has been inserted in different phases of the training and can be inserted by surprise to the crew.

Coming from a type rating training you would be likely to have performed quite a lot of go-arounds and possibly a few surprising windshear escapes in the simulator.

Once again I would like to point out that the windshear escape in the Q400 manual promotes pitch before speed. This does not mean that I believe there was any windshear present in this accident and not even that the crew believed there was. However if they were surprised by sudden low speed and stall warning the reaction could have been a manouver more similar to go-around and even windshear escape than a stall recovery.

Btw, to my knowledge SAS did not use reverse unless very exceptional cases.