PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for anyone who cares. . . .
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2009, 09:23
JetX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for anyone who cares. . . .

Take this as you will, but I am pretty sick to death of the negativity on PPRUNE. If you read the various threads on here SELDOM is there positive and useful information, much is just slack mouthing off from a generation of aviation professionals who seem to thrive on cutting each other down and even more so, wrongly portraying the professional aviation industry and the image of pilots. I will pass on some information imparted into to me by those who were willing to share it. . . please feel free to add your POSITIVE advice and tips for anyone to take what they want out of it.

I believe there is to much of an emphasis on using G.A as a "Get in, Get out" build hours and move on scheme. Many people are missing the point and all the bitching and moaning is making aviation a dull career full of un-happy negative people. . . I entered into aviation the usual CPL way, bright eyes and full of energy, ready for any challenge and worked hard just to clean aircraft, my folks noticed my dedication to aviation and my struggle to self fun my way, I was lucky enough to have some financial assistance from my folks for which I am ever grateful for and words can not express my appreciation. I was brought up with the morals of doing things at 110% and setting your own standards in life despite what others may do or say. I am meant to be the typical Gen Y, yet get disgusted by how many pilots think they are god's gift and should be in an airline NOW, with a command in 2 years. Where the hell did this come from? Did I miss those classes? I was told it's a hard road but a rewarding and enjoyable road that will leave you satisfied and smiling over the many memories, places and great people you will meet.

I have only been in aviation a short period of time and have worked my way up through the ranks to get my self 1000 hours of experience (which still isn't much) of which I am lucky to have made up of Turbine/Turbo-prop, Multi-engine and IFR/VFR flying, rotary and fixed-wing. There is a sense of pride and achievement on looking back over the last couple of years and knowing after gaining my CPL I have done it all on my own back, I entered into the aviation industry knowing no one and now have best friends, a solid network and many many amazing memories. I created connections out of nothing, improved my people skills and seriously changed my attitude thanks to some people who cared enough to give me a few tips. I still have a lot to learn and look forward to what may lie ahead!

If there is anything I can say to anyone starting out, PLEASE PLEASE don't miss out on G.A and don't go into G.A with the "Hour building" mentality. Yes we all have goals and want to go places but your not going to get there quicker by counting every 0.2 and you will miss out on enjoying the ride. There is WAY TO MUCH emphasis on the TYPE of HOURS you have in your log book and pilots not taking opportunities because they don't want to be a Co-Pilot on a single pilot aircraft under 5700KG or it's not multi, or it's not Cat C or Blah Blah blah. If there is one thing I have learnt it is that EXPERIENCE CAN NOT BE BOUGHT and nor can the people you will meet who are willing to share there knowledge with you.... find your self an experienced pilot and sit next to them like a sponge, soaking up information on simple things you may think that you know! Weather, thunderstorms, Low Vis, Turbulence, failures and take on board everything they know! It will help you more than you will ever imagine and the best part is these pilots are everywhere and you don't have to pay them an hourly rate or make a booking, it's FREE (might cost you a few beers at the worst!!!) Some of these tips have changed my life and stopped my from making some bad decisions in the aircraft and on the ground!

Each person is entitled to there own opinion and have there own goals in life but all I am getting at is enjoy the ride, enjoy the sunrises, the sunsets and the amazing places you will visit. Life is short and before you know it, it's over and you don't want to be left thinking "What If" . . .

The best advice I have ever been given went something like this:
" Aviation is a small industry, keep your mouth shut, Stay out of the politics and don't believe everything you read on PPRUNE, but above all it is the best career in the world if YOU WANT IT TO BE".

Aviation is what you make it, don't whine about it, don't bitch and moan, yeah life is tough and has it ups and downs but remember there are people out there who have a dream of flying and will never for-fill it for what ever reason, financial or medical. I don't want to crap on, but it is something I have thought about a lot lately and there is a very negative tone on aviation.
Maybe we can change that ?

I believe the romance of aviation has been lost and the professional courtesy has been pushed aside by ego's and people who work as individuals and not as a team. You are not better than someone because you have more hours, you fly a jet or make more money, you are not special because you are a pilot, you are just lucky that you are EMPLOYED as a Pilot, there are plenty of people who aren't. We might not be able to change the industry, but we can change our attitudes, which over time, will make a difference.

The last thing that I would recommend is to take more photos!! You will look back on them later in life. Enjoy.