PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel Instruction
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2009, 06:59
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taildragging

Hi Althevet,

A little word of caution.

I learned to fly in 1960 at a time when we were all taildragger pilots, although then it was called flying an aircraft with a 'conventional undercarriage'. (You were thought posh if you flew a tricycle in those days). This was followed by many years when, for various reasons, I couldn't fly at all.

Then in 2005 I resumed flying and, after renewing my PPL, I decided I wanted to go back onto taildraggers. I then learned the hard way that the quality of taildragger training available had become, shall we say, 'variable'.

To be a competent taildragger pilot, you need to be taught two ways of landing the aircraft; the 'three point' landing and the 'wheeler' or 'roller' landing. The wheeler landing is especially valuable for cross-wind landings and especially in a strong wind.

Nowadays, they seem to teach you to land cross-wind by stalling in on one main and the tailwheel. This works fine in a light cross-wind, but if the wind is strong or gusty then you definitely need the wheeler landing technique. I did ask to do wheelers with my instructor, but he said "no, do it this way" and insisted I stick to the stalling-in method.

Not long afterwards, when landing in a strong crosswind by the stalling-in method, I ground-looped the aircraft. I am certain that if I had been using the wheeler landing technique, this would never have happened. Perhaps this sort of thing may be one reason why taildraggers have now acquired such a reputation for ground-looping, which they never had years ago.

So far, I have not found anywhere today where they teach wheeler landings as a matter of routine, at least not without being asked specifically to do so.

I have even heard of some places where they don't teach cross-wind landings in taildraggers at all.

I would recommend that you should first read 'The Compleat Taildragger Pilot' by H S Plourde, before you go anywhere for training.

Whoever you do eventually choose to do your course with, make sure they have the capability to teach you properly.

Broomstick.