PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - Forthcoming ATSOCAS changes
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2009, 06:41
whowhenwhy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I'm going to bite. The reason why we're having this thread is because the mil and CAA didn't get around the table years ago and ensure that the suite of services that we were giving was standardised. Units started going off the piste and doing exactly the kind of thing that's mentioned here. For example paraphrasing an earlier post, well we were giving FIS because we were too busy to give RIS, but we tried to provide traffic info as and when we could if we were quiet. Absolute tosh. You should have provided one or the other. Provide FIS with "duty of care" collision warnings, or RIS and limit it for high traffic density, controller workload or both. And sorry, but frankly I believe that the rot started on the civil side. Having seen the way that civil colleagues around the UK interpret the provision of RAS, it is far removed from the original intent. What I am hearing from some civil units about how they're going to apply the new ATSOCAS is similarly concerning. For instance "we're not going to keep mentioning this "with terrain alert" thingy, because all of our pilots know about it" from a major airport in northern England. Yes, but CAP774 states exactly what people are to say and if we all start dropping bits here and there to suit ourselves, we're going to be straight back to where we are now.