PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is MPL finally taking off? (now with job guarantee?)
Old 20th Feb 2009, 22:02
Adios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMJP,

I don't understand what you mean by a pilot who has a CPL, bui ttrained the MPL way, since MPL is an alternative license to CPL, not a new way of getting a CPL.

I didn't parse my words closely enough as I was writing in the context of FlyBe and FTE being the first UK MPL. I think I confused this thread for another where the originating post was about FlyBe's new MPL. You are correct in saying the MPL is developed already, but according to Flight International, FTE's syllabus for the first batch of FlyBe MPL cadets has not been approved by the UK CAA yet, so it seems to me it's still in "development." By that I mean specifically what aircraft and sims will be used and how many hours in each, plus the lesson plan for each flight. I'm sure the CAA wants to get it right and are probably taking a belts and braces approach to it.

It seems to me that each syllabus will need approval because the employing airline's SOPs and stamp are all over it. MPL includes a type rating and if the airline will be delivering this in-house as an integral part of the MPL syllabus, it needs approval by the relevant aviation authority. The FTO and Airline will seek this approval jointly in such a case. The second point is that nobody will train on MPL except pre-selected cadets, therefore, they won't be going head-to-head with a CPL holder for a job. They will already have one waiting for them.

As for as what happens to the MPL holders if they are made redundant before reaching 1,500 hours, or whatever it will take them to swap the MPL for an ATPL, well let's just say they will probably be royally screwed and I'd put my money on a ME/CPL/IR holder being more employable, or at least employable by more airlines.

Last edited by Adios; 20th Feb 2009 at 22:16.