PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44 Accident Panama 19th Feb 09 3 fatalities
Old 20th Feb 2009, 20:32
coptercop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robinson R44 Accident Panama 2/19/09 3 fatalities

My good friend of 40+ years was the pilot in this one. He was an excellent pilot - the best. Early reports are that the R44 caught fire at 800ft altitude, over Panama City International Airport. There may have been an explosion. Two passengers. One occopant and two suitcases exited the copter before it hit the ground, and many meters from impact. Impact was by the approach road to the terminal. There were witnesses, so the account should get filled in.

My gnawing question is: Have there been any other R44 in flight fires, and what could be the cause? Perhaps a missing Fuel Filler cap? Burned bearing? Exhaust Leak? Fuel line leak? I am at a loss. Any ideas?

For Gary to go, it had to be a fatal mech failure of some kind. He was a very cautious and skilled pilot. The best I ever knew. He gave me my first flying lesson in 1968.

Since there are no other incidents I could find of inflight fires for the R44, and Gary was so careful with maintenance, preflight inspections, and piloting, I even wonder if there was some foul play? It would not have been directed at Gary personally. Perhaps his passengers. Everybody liked and respected Gary Vaucher. I look forward to a detailed investigation of the accident remains and circumstances.

Last edited by coptercop; 28th Feb 2019 at 11:05.