PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experienced pax vs very experienced CC seatbelt thread
Old 20th Feb 2009, 17:39
boardingpass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure I've heard 'It is a Qantas requirement that you keep your seatbelts fastened while seated' or something to that effect.

VanHorck: The seatbelt signs are there for pax safety, not to stop you being a hindrance, that's what the restraint kit is for.

JohnMc: the need for displayed tone is because VH's comment is so far from reality it warrants a trolley to the kneecap.

DC-ATE: if you sue, ticket prices have to go up, and PAX end up paying the price anyway.... or you could just wear your seatbelt.

FlapsForty: your analogy is accurate, some FFlyers and PPL holders say the most darndest things sometimes.

Mozart21: your wealth of experience as SLF is for the most part irrelevant, because you are probably a reasonable person who complies with instructions. Whereas I might see up to 500 pax in any given work day and therefore have to deal with at least 5 nitwits per day (1% of pax) who are in the 'I'm too cool to wear a seatbelt, I'm too busy to turn off my computer, I'm to important to put my bag on the floor' category and therefore require a little 'OR ELSE' angry mommy attitude to get things done.

AbusingTheSky: And I would add sometimes we call the flightdeck to turn on the seatbelt sign because on occasion it can be terribly rough up the back near the tail while the flight deck is relatively smooth. You're right about going to the toilet, too.

My mother always told me, before travelling and going to sleep, go to the loo. She had a few other gems of advice, too, bless her.

Usually, pax will notice the seatbelt signs are still on after the cabin crew have been released (while the plane is still climbing). But this is not because we want to work unhindered, but because we are trained, experienced, able bodied and wearing appropriate footwear to be walking around in an unstable cabin. Pax are not, and even if Mr Frequent Flyer thinks he is, I cannot implement one rule for pax A, and one for frail lady pax B with weak bones.

So, if the seat belt sign is on, and you need to pee, may I suggest you press the call bell to ask an FA if it is safe to go to the toilet. If no-one comes, they are all probably strapped in too. If they say no, you can ask them to ask the Captain if they expect a change in circumstances soon, and convey your urgency . Usually crew will say something like 'if you need to go, you need to go, but hold onto this grab rail, take care, and be aware that you are responsible if anything happens'.

Now, I'm not going to deny that bad unscrupulous airlines exist that have zero customer orientation and might have silly ideas like keeping seatbelt signs on a whole flight 'in case'. I've heard stories how crew used to count how many call bells could be on and left ignored until they hit the 'call reset' button... But fortunately these airlines are mostly on the way out and if you encounter this, don't fly them again.