PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experienced pax vs very experienced CC seatbelt thread
Old 20th Feb 2009, 15:41
A300Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flaps, once again, I am rather bemused at the tone of your second-but-last post, albeit the most recent one appeared to be written in a more level-headed stance. Please do not take this the wrong way or be offended by my imminent comments, but your approach in the participation of this now-divorced (from the original) thread has only served to weaken your argument, IMO. It would have been much better to employ the tact and wit and diplomacy that CC are known for with the ultimate objective of achieving a result, rather than go on a barbaric offensive which only served to alienate the audience.

I work in the industry. I am not employed by an airline, as such, directly. I DO however fly a heck of a lot. I know a lot about the superficial aspects of the service (it's not rocket science when one does it so often). I don't get down to the nitty-gritty of timings to switch on or off the seat belt signs. But the original poster made a very valid comment. I know - for a fact - that some airline crew maintain the signs illuminated longer than normal to allow the cabin crew to complete the service asap, not because the cabin crew wants to put their feet up, but because the sector time is so short that having pax in the aisle would make full service delivery extremely difficult within the alloted time.

I have been on many flights and stood in the galley and actually witnessed a cabin crew member coming forward and requesting the purser to ask the captain to switch on the seatbelt signs and make a PA about "imminent" turbulence (phantom turbulence) to ensure that a crowd of lager louts assembled near the rear galley takes their seats and stops causing such hassle to the cabin crew. I have seen this done many times.

As such, whilst still maintaining my earlier statement of UTMOST respect for those in the cabin crew profession, your original post was way off beam and did not permit evaluation of both sides of the story!!

By the way, I love your purple ink........................Happy Flying!! xx