PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How/When did you apply for that 1st Job?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2009, 10:02
Bearing 123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After training and with all the right tickets, I started hounding companies with CV's and phone calls for about three months to absolutely no avail, and this was when we were in the boom time of hiring.
A friend of mine just happened to be speaking to a maintenance company who were looking for a pilot on both a Seneca and a Chieftain. I was put in the frame and flew with them for a private owner (Non AOC) for about 18 months and amassed 800 PIC multi time. Single Pilot IFR flying is no fun and can be at times bloody dangerous, so again, this time loaded up with sensible hours (Circa 1500TT) out went the CV's and I felt confident that something would come in............Nothing!!!!
Someone had mentioned a name to me of a guy who had a management company and who had been around in the business for a long time, so in desperation, I wrote him a letter. I didn't attach a CV, I just asked for his advice. Two days after posting the letter, the guy called me for a chat, which lasted for about 20 minutes. He then invited me into the office the next day for an interview, and 3 months later I was flying a mid to long range bizjet.

As has been said above...... there are no set ways to getting the first job, but be prepared to take anything to get your hours to a sensible level. Also CV's are good but don't just rely on them, get out, network, be prepared to buy lots of beer for people, even beg if you have to, but don't sit back and think that the job will come to you by just sending out loads of CV's.

Good Luck