PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2009, 21:34
chimbu warrior

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Never a dull moment......

Air travellers warned not to ‘test’ security

Authorities referred to an incident last Thursday in Port Moresby in which the wife of a businessman, who was to leave on an Air Niugini flight to Brisbane, got past one security check with a pistol in her make-up bag.

Pacnews/The National
Tue, 17 Feb 2009
PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea----- Chief executive officer of Papua New Guinea (PNG) Airports Limited Clement Kapapal has warned air travellers not to test airport security by trying to carry weapons on board aircraft as there are tough penalties for such offences., reports The National.

He said the carriage of dangerous goods on board aircraft was a criminal offence under the Civil Aviation Act and attracted a hefty penalty as it not only put the lives of passengers and the crew in danger but also had a negative bearing on the country’s security system.

Mr Kapapal was referring to an incident last Thursday in Port Moresby in which the wife of a businessman, who was to leave on an Air Niugini flight to Brisbane, got past one security check with a pistol in her make-up bag.

She was caught and the matter referred to police.

“I think those who did that know what they were doing but did so instead to test our security system,” Mr Kapapal said.

“Let me warn them that they should not.”

He said even a firearm licence did not permit a passenger to carry a weapon in their hand luggage; all licensed firearms, accompanied by a consent letter from the CAA director, were supposed to be part of the checked baggage.

“I’m glad the pistol was picked up here and not in Brisbane, as there would have been serious repercussions for our airline industry.

“Singapore had already warned that it will stop all PNG registered aircraft from travelling there if a similar incident like that which occurred last year, involving a passenger trying to board a flight from Singapore with a firearm, is reported again.

“I’m sure Australia would have done the same thing,” he said.

Mr Kapapal had also spoken with the management of Protect Security Services, the security company contracted by PNG Airports Limited to provide security and screen passenger baggage at the airport, on the incident.
What sort of make up requires a pistol to apply it?