PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier dispute between Navy and RAF chiefs sees Army 'marriage counsellor' called in
Old 19th Feb 2009, 18:03
BobHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being both a ex Submariner and non aircrew unless you count cattle class on RyanAir may I input my tuppence worth.

1. Even if Carriers(CV's) are built and commissioned is the current or projected surface fleet able to protect the CV and its task force of Fleet Auxiliaries and Landing Ships. The Type 45 Daring is not fit for task in its current form and to date no suitable anti submarine surface units have been proposed. It is debatable if six Astute class SSN's are sufficient to give both Task Force protection and offensive patrols against both hostile SS and SSN's

2. Is the RAF capable of protecting maritime units world wide. Well history from WW11, Korea, Suez, and South Atlantic says no its not and still isn't.

3. Does UK PLC still need a independent nuclear deterrent other then to, as claimed by Pollies to keep us at the top table. Well, do we need to be at the top table? Is our nuclear deterrent really independent or are we the only ones in the club, France, USA, China, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Israel, Iran, North Korea?, Brazil?, Terrorists? who would not be able to launch with out the nod from the Septics.

4. I am all for tactical nuclear weapons but see no point in Trident or any other similar weapon system for UK PLC. If we intend to have a World Wide influence that must also be capable to perform in a winter storm in the North Atlantic as well as sunny places with warm seas and blue sky. Just in AS capability we do not have that relying on helicopter assets alone.

Now you fly boys can continue to argue who should have the toys that are not fit for purpose as declared.

BobH