PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Power Settings - New Engine - Fixed Pitch Prop
Old 19th Feb 2009, 17:39
Big Pistons Forever

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
Heliplane

I think you are over analysing this. The critical thing in a break in is to run a high power setting to ensure high cylinder pressures so the rings properly seat. Prolonged running of the engine at low power settings will result in a glazing of the cylinders and permanent excessive oil consumption. Any reasonably high power setting like 2550 RPM will do. The critical thing is to avoid prolonged running on the ground. When I replaced all the cylinders on my 0235 Lycoming we did about a 1 min initial power run shut down did a complete check over of the engine and then I timed my start up so I could start, do a very quick runup and immediately takeoff. I then did a hour of circles over the airport reduced power slightly did another hour of local flying and returned. Compressions have been in the high 70's and oil consumption of 1 lt per 12 hrs ever since. Oil Temp is a good indicator of how the break in is going. It will be initally very high and then slowly drop during the first 30 min.
After the first hour it should be near normal for the conditions.

As an aside this is one example where knowing what "normal" engine indications for most conditions is a big help. This is a personal pet peeve as it seems to be most pilots seem to believe as long as the needle is in the green as is well. When I instruct I periodically cover the engine guages and ask the student where the needles were as a way to build good engine management habits.