PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2009, 16:49
roverman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SQ and MAN

Difficult times. Worrying news about SQ. But at least they are still flying the route, hopefully keeping it warm for a return to growth at some stage. Old timers like me may recall the publicity campaign run by SQ in conjunction with MAN back in the early 1980s, with the aim of securing respective government approval to fly SIN-MAN. At the time the bilateral agreement only allowed 7 flights per week UK-Singapore by each of SQ and BA. SQ desperately wanted to open MAN but BA didn't and opposed. It took an almighty lobbying effort - including a one-off non-scheduled SQ B747 promotional visit in 1984 before the deadlock was broken. A scheduled SQ B743-Combi finally landed at MAN in April 1986. The initial frequency was just 2 per week with an en-route stop each way. I was there that morning to hear Manchester ATC say 'Singapore 337 Good Morning, and Welcome' and to witness the Big Top touch down. Like QF three years earlier, it was a seminal moment. QF are long gone from 53N 002W. I hope I will never hear us say Goodbye to one of the pioneers of MANs erstwhile Golden Age.