PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2009, 15:17
Midland 331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just heard about the MME-LHR and gasped.

How can this happen? I worked at Teesside 1983-85,and we used to send the 331/7 out full to the jump seat on many days, mostly on full fares, and with a cost base that pre-dated Ryanair's "pared to the bone" approach to overheads.

So, what's changed? Trains services have not improved. Industry and, hence, business travel has not declined. And, please don't let anyone say "recession" as, when I first came to the area from EMA, the whole area was in the deepest of recessions for many years, not just a slight touch of closing shoe shops, reduced profits at Starbucks, and sacked bankers. The route did very well indeed. All I can surmise is that passengers dislike the unsuitable equipment, dislike the clear statement that the route does not matter that much anymore. Dealing face-to-face with the passengers made me realise just how sensitive to the company's strategy they are, and having their loyalty treated with contempt means they simply choose another way to travel.

Nostalgic maybe, but this was the route that set Midland on the way to "the big time" at LHR, and now it's gone. Roll on Flybe. Ironically, one of their directors is an ex-Midland Teesside ticket agent, just like I was.

rg