PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2009, 11:58
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you are right, a network-carrier would need to overnight at ORK, not something that is terribly difficult in itself, but a proven market and strong premium-cabin demand would have to be proven - ORK might struggle on the premium cabin side, especially with the money side of things the way they are. WIth that in mind, if one carrier tries and fails I fear that no one else would have a go for many, many years.

Apparently, EI have long-term ambitions to base up to 7 aircraft at ORK, I imagine that is over a 5 year sort of timescale, at least. I think the upcoming winter time-table will be interesting to see, but I don't think any more A320s will be based at ORK until at least summer 2010, or more realistically 2011. There might be some opportunities for W's from some UK destinations though. Current focus seems to be getting LGW up to 8 based aircraft by March 2010, realistically there will be no significant EI growth at ORK (or BFS or DUB) until at least then, I would have thought.

FR seem harder to predict, on one hand they are pulling down SNN and launching routes from ORK might make the SNN situation even worse in terms of yields (which, from what I understand are the problem). On the other hand one based aircraft at ORK must be pretty expensive, relative to other bases an extra based aircraft could give them economies of scale, although they have clearly chosen not to base additional aircraft at ORK. On one had FR growth brings passengers, but we have seen how whimsical FR can be when it comes to adding and dropping routes - FR clearly have not been the long-term saviour SNN wanted and needs - indeed the opposite is true. Is it wise for ORK to go very far down the FR road????

Brian.