PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOA funding of UK retirement age appeal
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2009, 09:22
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATY

What you predict would be in-line with the failed/rejected (for BusyB-withdrawn) deal of Aug 07.

Surely the best option for junior crew would be to stay on the original deal, take the BPP and then as they approach 55 discover that they have been discriminated against and approach the AOA to fund a lawsuit to prevent them being forcably retired as detailed in their contract... sound vaguely familar.

Should the majority of the Junior Crew elect to do that; and the AOA may advise them to do so, the problem then becomes the extendees remain an expensive option for the company (particularly if the floodgates open on BPP for Freighter extendees). Having the extendees on effectively 10 year contracts, presumably with no unpaid leave provisions, that will be unattractive to the company if they get no savings on BPP.

As for MaxReheat's question... "Explain to me, then, why on earth would a current FO choose to stay with the current contract (albeit on BPP) rather than have the opportunity of another 10 yrs as a Captain beyond the age of 55"

You need to read Numero Cruncho's post of some months back regarding the financial punishment for Junior Crew; whilst your career earnings rise by a small percentage... you have to work a lot of extra years. Also, what's to say by the time I get to 55 and get those "extra 10 years of Capts pay"; my pay wont be slashed to C Scale. Perhaps it is better to get command as fast as you can before the world changes again?