PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Cockpit Door - What Do Pax Think?
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2009, 07:30
Old 'Un

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here

Yes, Capot, F-27s flying regional routes in NZ a few decades ago must have had a similar SOP - curtain to the side and tied off for landings. It made for an interesting view into Wellington, especially in blustery conditions. As a frequent pax, I (along with others frequent fliers) used to count the number of "white knuckles". Average was about 50%, higher if the day was really rough. Whatever the reason, 'security' back then wasn't an issue.

I'm all in favour of security for pilots (and pax for that matter), but just where do we draw the line? Is it reasonable/feasable to fit a security door into a B1900? I know when they were fitted to some Saab 340s, they had to carry plastic water drums down the back to offset the extra weight up front. Overall the commercial payload was reduced and correspondingly the operating costs went up.

Final 3 Greens: I'm not sure why, but the F-27 does appear to have a pronounced nose-down attitude on approach. It looks that way both from on board and from the ground. Does it have a higher approach angle compared with other aircraft perhaps? Maybe someone with more knowledge of the F-27 could explain. Sorry, thread drift. Back to topic.

Le Vieux

Last edited by Old 'Un; 19th Feb 2009 at 07:39. Reason: To tidy a clumsy wording