PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zest Airways MA60 crash landing in Caticlan - Boracay?
Old 19th Feb 2009, 06:23
sweetdad05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot error

The type of aircraft has actually nothing to do with the accident involved in here. The bottom line is the error or the wrong decision that the PIC has made. Only he can tell what was in his mind before that crash happened. Would have it been avoided? My sources who were standing at the ramp area watched the aircraft after it made a missed approach, and on its second attempt to land they saw the aircraft trying to make a short approach (not on a standard pattern). Boy...was the pilot in a hurry or what? What I can say for now is that some pilots put a big risk on safety when they decide to do a short "combat like" approach" on an aircraft which they haven't flown that long yet (unfamiliar!!)..thus, the lesson that we may have learned is flying a standard pattern after "missed approach" or "go around procedure" would have been the best solution on that second attempt unless they have no more fuel left to do a standard pattern. And for you guys following this thread I would like to emphasize the fact that this is not an "undershot" but technically "a crash", because the aircaft plunge on a grass land far outside the fence of the Caticlan Airport perimeter fence and probably damaged its LH main landing gear and then bouncing it inside the airport's perimeter and moving further to its final position of the crash.