PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 19th Feb 2009, 05:57
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verifying the "note from the union" would be the first order of business - not doubting - verification is part of the process, even here. That said, the following quote leaves a question open:
Information has been received indicating it is possible to obtain a significant nose pitch up, in some cases as much as 30 degrees, if the glide slope is allowed to capture before established on centerline. Pilots who are preparing to configure and land have the potential to experience abrupt pitch up, slow airspeed, and approach to stall if conditions present themselves in a certain manner.
The note says, "before established on centerline". I assume the LOC is captured first, then the GS and I assume that there are separate controls for these two different capture modes, (such as "LOC", and "APPR" for the 320).

1. Does anyone know of an autopilot that captures the glideslope before the LOC?

2. We know that under certain circumstances of GS capture quite quickly after the LOC, the autopilot can pitch the airplane up significantly. I know it has occurred to an A330 so it can happen. I have seen these recommendations on occasion. Toronto's 6's (5's at the time), would occasionally provide an interesting GS capture.

Question: Is the recommendation to capture the LOC first, then engage (ARM) the GS mode? The note doesn't specify nor is it clear. It says centerline, not LOC.

Last edited by PJ2; 19th Feb 2009 at 06:00. Reason: Clandestino - I posted just after you but will let the question stand - that's my impression too - no A/P captures the Loc before the gs. PJ2