PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 18th Feb 2009, 23:58
Old Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PT6Driver: Ref speeds

Chealander, in his 3d & last press conference prior to returning Washington, gave the following info (I watched this as occurring):

1. NSTB estimated wt of A/C at 55,000 lbs (closely 25,000 kg) at location of incident-- NSTB estimated fuel burn enroute. (Possibly ans to quest).

2. 30-pg flight folder (terminology?) for crew said that (instructed?) configuration for landing on runway involved would be 119 kts 15 flaps if no ice (might have said no icing expected); in icing conditions it would be 139 kts 15 flaps. (Think this was in prepared remarks.)

3. [Careful] review by MET officals had determined icing at this location to be between 4000 MSL down to 2500 MSL. (Prepared remarks, I think).

4. A turbulence sigmet was issued prior to the event [that would apply to this area]. It was not in the 30-page folder. It was not known at this time if it had been transmitted to the A/C [TTX--he did not have exact term].

5. Engines found in full run position [full if I recall]; all 6 blades attached to one engine, and missing blades on other found at scene.

There were other remarks and Q/A; I missed last one (2 if short) Q/A due TV station switching away; he was going to promised press contact numbers when I reaquired.

OE