PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does split flap increase lift?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2009, 21:50
Walrus 7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my one cent worth (adjusted for the global economic crisis).

I find it interesting that people are mentioning the water-over-the-spoon demonstration, but no-one has yet mentioned the name Coanda. The spoon demo has nothing to do with Bernoulli, it demonstrates the theories of Henri Coanda. Remember, Bernoulli was not an aerodynamicist and never claimed his theories had anything to do with flight; other people decided that they did. Coanda stated that a stream of fluid will cling to the contour of any shaped surface over which it runs (the water & spoon bit), thereby deflecting the fluid downward. This is where Newton comes into it. The reaction to the deflection is what we call lift. If you do the demo at home (don't waste the water, though) you will feel the spoon being drawn into the water stream if you hold it gently between two fingers.

Bernoulli's theories are, I believe, negligible, because he formulated them in a closed system (between two curved surfaces). You cannot get a more open system than the rest of the sky. I'm not saying that there are not differentials in pressure over the upper and lower surfaces, but just that they aren't powerful enough to generate the lift needed to fly.

And there you have what I reckon!

Walrus