PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying schools going tits up.
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2009, 19:40
bigfoot01
The Original Foot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it's quite that straightforward. In my industry, there are examples of people doing this, in order to 'avoid ' tax. It goes like this, you pay your self up to the lower rate limit and then take the remaining money from the company as Dividends, (assuming you make this much). Hence you avoid paying higher rate tax (it used to be a bit better than that, but increases in captial gains taxes have wiped that out). You can also claim expences, e.g. if you are office based mileage to and from work; headphones; books; parking; etc. which are essentially tax free.

Another interesting one is where you pay an otherwise unworking partner to do secretarial work or similar to support your business, taking advantage of a tax free allowance.

Those nice people Customs and Revenues don't really like either first scheme where the person looks like an employee. E.g. single predominant source of income; working in the same role for more than 2 years; no contract, or a contract that looks like an employment contract. The sancation is they usually assume no more than 5% expences and the remainder is payed as direct pay, attracting PAYE; and both NI's. I suspect with the high training costs and potential around VAT losses, they will be looking at this area. During times of recessions, they tend to get very excited about enforcement...

The partner approach, they get suspicious if the partner does not seem to bring in money or direct value cannot be found in the work. I think they recently lost a case on this, but I know it is an area causing people concern...

I think they can also go back 7 years!