PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Holding.
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2009, 18:13
notlgw53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Descending to the Hold

I am not very good on what might be AIP or similar guidance but I would tactfully ask you to consider this scenario from a slightly different point of view. I understand, of course, that there is a great deal going on on the flight deck at this stage of flight but, sometimes, with some flights, situational awareness seems to diminish a little.
I don't want this to appear harsh so I hope it will be accepted in the context of the undoubtedly excellent relationship between pilots and UK controllers
If there is holding at all (although situations vary) it is likely that there will be other aircraft behind you also to hold especially at LAM for LL. Rates of less than 500fpm then are a little anti-social and I think closer to 1000fpm is probably what most assists stack management in busy traffic.
I'd like to add a little extra background as from it you might see a way to help yourself. In high pressure approach levels at a given stack are FL70-120 although traffic will frequently enter higher. Traffic can leave the stack only at FL120 or below without additional co-ordination (quite apart from the fact that on LL (W) that's roughly a CDA level). So the more chaps we can get down to those levels the faster things move. One slow descent in or approaching the hold can cause a surprising backlog and leads to the retention of the aircraft on the en-route frequency. This again might to be your disadvantage; although aircraft are handled with great fairness on an essentially "first come - first served basis", it is inevitable that not every flight will be perfectly positioned (laterally) in the hold. On such occasions an inventive controller will bring chaps off in other than level order which can free up several levels - but this can only happen if all concerned are at suitable levels in the first place.
It became a bit of rambling answer but I hope it adds something.