PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 18th Feb 2009, 13:54
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some autopilots do too much and unless fully integrated with autothrottles are more dangerous than NO autopilot.

The best autopilot I have ever had was the least complex. IF I WANTED TO CAPTURE AN ALTITUDE , I had to select ZERO on the rate of climb or descent...I had to capture the altitude and I never forgot to adjust the throttles. Why? Because I was controlling the whole thing and not depending on automation to capture a preselected altitude. My eyes were focused on the instrument panel, or we would miss our altitude.

On later planes, with auto altitude capture, we were supposed to use the autothrottles at all time, to avoid the postulated scenario.
protectthehornet, absolutely, agree 100%

Being a bit ignorant of turbo props am surprised to hear they have autopilot yet no autothrottle.

I recall a potential incident on the B737-300 (some 25 years ago!) where I had disengaged the autothrottle as we had to ensure a minimum N1 in those days with engine anti ice on. As we levelled at the approach altitude I noticed the speed decreasing below the minimum for the config and was able to rapidly apply manual thrust to correct same. We were nowhere near the stall but it was a salutary lesson.

As you say, pth, NO autopilot is probably better! At least in that situation the PF is generally very aware of what his/her primary task is.