PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2009, 07:51
JEM60

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Been an interested reader of these posts. I saw the Vulcan fly twice last year, having seen it many times before due to my age!!. Whilst at Duxford, after it's display she turned to me and said 'So that's what all the fuss is about. It didn't stir me!!!' Although she works at Duxford as a volunteer, she, like the vast majority of the the public, is not an Aviation Person. Herein is the problem.
The majority of the public, despite all the hype etc., seemingly couldn't care less whether or not they see a Vulcan, and possibly wouldn't recognise one if they saw it. Also, talking with my airshow aquaintances, them having seen it last year also, do not feel like forking out any more dosh. Several of them drove large distances to see it perform, and it didn't, for various reasons, all of which we Airshow People certainly understand e.g. serviceability problems etc.,
If the public had interest in seeing it fly, then it would, in my opinion, have been very well financed by now. The conclusion, therefore, must be that of 'flogging a dead horse'. The public are not interested, and it is being run by a group of enthusiasts, of which there are, of course, quite a few, but without sufficient capital to enable it to fly, and, in my opinion, no chance of raising it. Sorry to be one of the 'dismals' but I cannot fail to be anything other than pessismistic after all that has gone on. I guess I have said nothing new here, and this is my opinion only.
Coat and hat. Off bouncing round the Caribbean for three weeks. Cheers.