PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian ATC to strike
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2009, 05:26
The Euronator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keepemseperated

Maastricht , The Netherlands & I work for Eurocontrol.

expatoz

Before you stampede the grass is not always greener which at times were difficult, adjusting and coming to terms with a new enviroment, rules and regulations
Totally agree, there are several issues & the main one is language. It is a huge impairment on your day to day operations & should never be underestimated. With time this will become less of an issue.
On the other side the working conditions eg Leave & days off are a huge incentive for Aussie ATC's to consider. I have never had any trouble obtaining leave & I am never pestered to do O/T , although it is available if I want.

take a look at the big picture - the cost of living and what are the costs to yourself and your family when you relocate. In Europe, petrol, schooling and everyday costs are twice as much if not more, its all relative and while yes the salaries overseas are more than what you recieve in Oz its not 3 times.
Agree to a point. Australia's housing prices on a Wage to Value ratio is up there, if not more than parts of Europe. Considering this is one of your biggest outlays this must be taken into consideration,additionally interest rates are around 4 - 5 % compared with 7.5 - 8% in Aus. On other day to day expenses eg. Car/Petrol/Groceries , yes Europe is more expensive , almost double.

Be advised that other ANSP's in Europe eg DFS Germany(5,500 Euro per month after tax ) & Ireland do pay less & have less conditions than what I have quoted. Although with the state of the Irish economy they could be living in mansions shortly

One other thing, the Euro is currently very strong compared to the $AUD & historically it has been around $AUD 1 = 63 Euro cents not 50 Euro cents as it is currently. So that gross figure normally sits around the mid $300k range.

Last edited by The Euronator; 18th Feb 2009 at 06:26.