PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clipping The Airlines' Wings Would Do Us All A Favour: John Humphrys
Old 28th Nov 2001, 19:06
moggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought - but for the benefit of JH just how much CO2 does a 747 pump out crossing the altlantic? Then, if you take kg of CO2 per passenger kilometre, how does it compare with your 10yr old Nissan Sunny?

I took the time to work it out once - and if I remember correctly the fully laden jet used LESS fuel per mile than a car. I may just be suffering from a faulty memory - anyone care to help out?

Edited because I'm a sad git who's just worked it out. Figures for a VC10 - so significantly WORSE than a modern jet.

London to Washington = 3672 miles
Fuel burn= 63 tonnes. 142 POB = 448kg per head. 448kg @ specific gravity 0.8 = 560 litres fuel per head. Divided by 4.54 l per gallon = 123 gal per head.
3672 miles divide by 123 gallons = 29.75 mpg per passenger.

Now, when Mr Humphries drives his Merc/Lexus/BMW to the BBC with only himself on board, through a London rush hour, he will be lucky to get 20mpg. Who is the polluter.

OK so the figures are simplistic - but would you operators of more efficient jets like to crunch the numbers for your steeds?

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]