PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VAustralia 777 at Sydney
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2009, 17:46
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
A tale of two trips

Actual figures from a few days ago;- A380 and 777-300ER doing the same route within a few hours of each other.

A380- Trip fuel 164 Tonnes, available Payload 71 Tonnes =2.33 Tonnes burn for each available tonne of payload.

777-300ER Trip fuel 108 Tonnes, available Payload 61 tonnes = 1.77 Tonnes burn for each available tonne of payload.

On these figures, 777 is 24% more efficient than the A380 in Payload/burn IF you fill it.

Now factor in more crew, higher charges and double the number of engines to maintain when it ISN'T full......

An interesting figure is the difference in available payload- a mear 10T. 135 extra passengers with bags equals about 12T of load. So, of course, what we're finding is that if we DO fill the seats, we have to leave the cargo behind! (At least until the 777 gets there!!)

Now, you fly for the Rat? Your telling me your aircraft haven't had any tech problems? Not what I've heard!

A380, I'm glad you like your big new toy. I hear it's a pleasure to fly and very comfortable for the Pax.

In trying ecconomic times, it's too big for most routes it's flying on.

In times ahead, we will once again be looking at high fuel costs, and it is simply not fuel efficient enough for what it is supposed to do.

I hope those 840 Pax (IF Air Austral are still arpund to take delivery of the whole TWO aeroplanes being built in this config) don't have too much luggage- cause it's got less under-floor space than a 777.