PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2009, 13:17
ARXW

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For all my love of all things 'air combat' I couldn't elaborate more on this and Mr Edmund has elaborated more than I have seen on the subject for some time. So I say:

Bring in the AWI!

After the demise of the cat n trap traditional carrier force and the demise of the AWI squadron (764), weapons instructor (or rather air warfare instructor) trade was perpetuated by the older AWIs from the F-4 and Bucc force but in 801 incredibly an ex mud moving crab (Flt Lt Ian Mortimer) was the squadron AWI and for 800 during the conflict I am not sure but there were at least two Lt Cdrs (Tony Ogilvy and Mike Blissett) who's input we could use around here. However, in an old exchange with Moggy (Lt Cdr Dave Morgan) he'd told me that after the war AWI instruction was carried out at 899 and between 1978 and 1982 it apparently had not been formalised and the man who did do so was Ian Mortimer RAF helped by then Dave Morgan RAF (among others I presume?). Moggy did qualify as an AWI in 1984, and seeing as I do that he was looking for you in these forums some months (or years?) ago, he could be very useful in answering these questions! (Unfortunately as soon as you came into the forum he disappeared from it!! (Lovely book of his by the way. Especially relevant would be the section of his flying over Cornwall IIRC where he has a loud growl from his on board AIM9L on a heap of sheep's dung in the countryside!!! Talk about sensitivity! A Mirage in full afterburner would appear to an AIM9L's infrared seeker head to stink to high heaven by comparison then!

Last edited by ARXW; 17th Feb 2009 at 13:35.