PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI Crash in Louisiana Jan 2009 - 8 Dead, 1 Injured
Old 17th Feb 2009, 12:30
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Is the throttle issue not something of a red herring.

It would appear to me that crew incapacitation or the inability of the crew to react in time was the real problem. I seem to remember that tests following the loss of the Bristow Wessex showed that a failure to lower the lever within 9 seconds lead to an irrecoverable
situation. I dont know what the time for the S76 would be.

A double engine failure due to any cause should be surviveable. If this was a strike which did not incapacitate the crew then the mess in the front and distraction could have lead to a late reaction from them.

If the crew were taken out by the strike, even if both engines were running perfectly the aircraft would still have been lost.

Just out of interest we had one a pilot who flew with a helmet on the North Sea. Management asked him to stop as it was "upsetting the passengers". Maybe the correct response would have been to insist that all crews wore helmets so the pax became used to it and it was no longer an issue. No different to everybody wearing immersion suits.