PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 24th Apr 2002, 01:38
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tues 23rd April
Flew to Santa Barbara today. Nick, who's here from the UK doing a PPL and about a week off his check ride (Skills Test in UK-speak), decided to come with me, to navigate and generally get experience, and I like having someone to fly with and chat to. We got slightly lost on the freeways, but basically got from Long Beach to the coast via downtown LA, which meant we didn't have to go through anyone's airspace. Then a fantastic trip along the coastline, till we got to Mugu, some military something or other; they weren't allowing anyone in their airspace at all due to an accident over the weekend. Low cloudbase and haze, so couldn't go inland over the hills and didn't fancy 5 miles out to sea, so retraced our steps to better wx, over the mountains at nearly 3000 ft to hit the freeway, followed that, then back by the coast. Got to Santa Barbara, where I was meeting an old friend I've known since I was nine years old, who lives there; last saw her about five years ago. Lunch, long chat, took her husband up for a quick spin; she didn't want to go. Lazed in the sun, then managed to get all the way back along the coast as the Mugu restriction had been lifted. About 300 ft all the way, and the LAX shoreline transition at below 150 ft. Absolutely fantastic, and I can now cope with the radio. 4.2 hours flying, and I'm knackered, but it was a wonderful day.

RW-1, the money tree was an inheritance, which is running out fast, but may just get me to an instructors course, if I work and save a little bit too. After that it's get paid to fly, or maybe do the odd half hour once a month or so. But I don't care; I'm having such fun.

Catalina Island tomorrow, wx permitting. Watch this space.