PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine Rentals (USA)
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2009, 09:37
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tarasky
Hi Everyone,

My friend wants me to take her to the States to go fly around in a single engine!
Any suggestions from those of you who have done such a flying holiday in America. Where is the best?
Or indeed, is there a better location in the World to go on such a holiday?
Thanks guys,
Tara x
I've done this a few times, and had variable aeroplanes, but always an enjoyable flying experience.

Of those trips I've done, the one where I got the best flying, the best aeroplane, and the best value for money was at a small FBO called Skyschool at Prescott Love field in Arizona. Time permitting, I'd be very happy to go back there again.

A few general hints - in hot/high environments hire a slightly bigger/more powerful aeroplane than you think you'll need, allow a full day at the start (send your friends shopping!) for learning the aeroplane and the local flying environment, be prepared to refuse to take an aircraft - I've been to two FBOs who were very prepared to fob the foreigner off with the crap aeroplane that the locals wouldn't touch (although others with fantastic aeroplanes), and take lots of local advice about the best places to fly, and how.

G