PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI Crash in Louisiana Jan 2009 - 8 Dead, 1 Injured
Old 17th Feb 2009, 04:43
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assuming of course that these reports about Bird Strike possiblities are accurate, I remain a fan of the helmet and visor and this tradgedy gives me another reason. At least it might provide you a fighting chance and I guess we will never know if helmets may have provided enough protection for these guys so that they were then able to bring the aircraft back under control.
There have been bird penetrations of B206 cockpits, so speed is not always the culprit.
A possible cause of this accident it is yet another scenario that makes helmets the go...always. For me, anyways.
It also re-enforces my belief that throttles belong on the collective where they can be manipulated from the flight controls. The experiment with roof throttles should be over now, and the wheel re-invented to return them to the collective a la the EC145 v the BK117.

Condolences to those lost in this accident - no matter how unlikely we might argue it to have been. RIP. I hope they determine the cuase so that we may learn from it and help avoid the next one.

Last edited by helmet fire; 17th Feb 2009 at 04:55.