PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC reporting possible 'mid air collision'
Old 16th Feb 2009, 23:19
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace - Are you speaking with any kind of knowledge of this topic whatsoever? Or are you just making it up, like the newspapers and the so-called experts supplying them with information? As someone reasonably close to the incident I find your comments pretty damn offensive to be frank. Accidents do happen, something our modern culture of blame could well do with remembering, and while someone MAY have "messed up" there is no way anyone can say that for sure at this stage.
Knight.

Dont see why you should see my comments as offensive? You say you have several possible explanations? Share them!

Most accidents are Pilot Error and bar some failure which caused the aircraft to hit each other then sadly its likely to be pilot error( a better phrase than messed up so my apologies for that )

I have no knowledge of the accident but purely was referring to the press report which suggested that the two passengers may have been given control.

My observation was that with more experienced pilots that becomes more likely. As someone who would be classified as a reasonably experienced pilot I could identify with that and was reinforcing what may have been a likely cause as suggested in the press.

As 10540 said waiting for a AIBB report? wait at least a year and you may not even have a conclusive answer and by then there is little interest.

I am not of the brigade who are against discussing possible accident scenarios. I feel strongly that they should be discussed as long as they are not put forward as fact.

Thats ok as didnt think it was personal i think the more experienced you are as a pilot the more likely you are going to give the controls to a non pilot.
Experience breeds confidence. As you have done it so many times before your happy to sit back and give a non pilot the thrill of their lives always knowing you can take control.

These instructors were experienced and could quite easely have let the non pilots try formation flying with small corrections by themselves. But small corrections wont stop a large unexpected input with disasterous results at such close proximity.

I am not saying that is the scenario but it is a likely situation which could have answered why two experienced pilot would collide in formation.
If you take offence from the above then either you are ultra sensitive or I dont know what to say! You are not unique in being close to an accident. I have lost 4 friends to aviation 1 who was a very good friend.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 17th Feb 2009 at 00:39.