PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typical first 10 hrs of a PPL
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2009, 21:41
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I have heard of some organisations where the first and most subsequent lessons after the trial one consists of circuits if the weather isn't too good (!) this, IMHO isn't the way it should be. Your first lessons should concern the principles of handling the aircraft. How to use the cortrols correctly, how to use trim, power and flaps and the effects therof. With these practiced consolidation of these exercises should follow where you learn to fly straight and level at different airspeeds and configurations (flap settings), climbing and descending and turning correctly, both level, climbing and descending as well. Once these are "in the book" it is necessary to find out how to recognise a stall, it's onset and what to do to prevent this happening and to recover if, inadvertently, it does. Then flight at very low airspeed can be practiced. Then and only then in my book does the student get introduced to the circuit where almost all the skills previously practiced get put together. When it comes together, and when some competency in aircraft R.T procedures and a little knowledge in air law is gained, first solo will occurr. With ex-glider pilots this can be in a minimum of about 5 hours. Starting from scratch with a bright, usually young student, it can be as little as 8, but due to weather and other factors, a good student can have his solo delayd for... well over 20 hours. It is to be remembered in such instances that such students will have experience of all sorts of poor weather conditions and many more useful hours of dual experience which will enable them to cope adequately with much more on their first solo than the student soloing at 8 hours, and progress is usually very rapid once a 20 hour solo student earns this privelege.
Enjoy your training and your P.P.L. when it is granted. Remember, most pilots never experience the feeling that they get when they have just completed thei first solo more than once. But some of us experience it twice - when? The first time we send a first solo as instructors. We metaphorically fly every inch of that circuit with our first first solo candidate and the sight of that safe landing at the end is a wonderful feeling for the sending instructor as well. In my case, for all my instructional years, I could never get out of my head the briefing I received so many years ago from my CFI when he sent me on my first solo. It was an excellent one and I used it myself every time I sent one.
As I said ........... Enjoy!

P.P.