PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wake turbulence - routine or something to worry about?
Old 16th Feb 2009, 21:35
frequentflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I've reported in other sections of this website - and been derided for exaggerating - Mrs. Frequent Flyer and I were well and truly jolted out of our complacency on a BA Embraer 145 over the sewage works in Stockport while approaching MAN.
The aircraft seemed to roll on to its side one way producing gasps and screams from the passengers, right itself and then roll on to the other side. This produced more gasps and screams from those who felt they were going to land well and truly in the proverbial in every sense.
The pilot regained control of the plane and climbed as quickly as possible.
Someone in the cockpit also spoke to the cabin crew member at the front of the aircraft and I heard her reply: "No. There have been no injuries." However, had everyone not been using their seatbelts in preparation for landing there would undoubtedly have been injuries given the violence of the motion.
The pilot then explained we had been caught in the wake vortex of a much larger aircraft in front.
It was a sobering experience.