PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas check-in procedure
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2009, 17:27
WHBM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bealzebub
Next it is off to the "Fast bag drop."
I notice that most carriers who styled their desks "Fast Bag Drop" are now renaming them as "Bag Drop", presumably after all the stick they got.

it still seems as if the check-in agent has to type the first 3 pages of her autobiography into the computer terminal
Indeed. As a computer person this is a complete mystery to me as well, the design of the software must be a nonsense. Scan in your BP bar code, key in the number of bags (the only keying needed), print, stick, next please. goodness knows what else is required.

I understand that the check-in agent is responsible for checking your documents, to ensure the airline isn't charged a ransom for importing you as an undesirable into some foreign port.
Not so. Because if you are Hand Baggage Only you miss this step completely, so this cannot be part of the immigration documents check. That needs to be done for everyone, and thus elsewhere.

too early. You can only drop off your bags 2 hours before the flight!"
You should try the delights of Ryanair, where they do not open their check-in desk for a given flight until 2 hours beforehand, they close it rigorously 40 minutes before departure (notwithstanding that you may be Hand Baggage Only and the inbound aircraft is just at Top-of-Descent), and the one recent recruit is there to process 189 passengers.