PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down near sandtoft
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2009, 17:15
BT777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good evening,

The BBC have an update to this incident now:

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Humber | Crash helicopter pilot identified

A trainee pilot who was killed when his helicopter plunged into a field has been named.
Kim Carter, 54, from Bradford, died when the Robinson R22 aircraft crashed on land next to the M180 at Sandtoft, North Lincolnshire, on Saturday.
Mr Carter had had only four hours of solo flying and was on his sixth solo flight when the crash happened.
Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) experts have removed the wreckage for examination.
The helicopter was owned by the Multiflight aviation company, based at Leeds-Bradford Airport.
'Training flight'
Director Miles Beechan said the two-seater helicopter had left Leeds-Bradford on a "routine training flight" with an instructor on board and had performed a number of circuits from Sandtoft during the morning.
The accident happened on Mr Carter's fourth solo circuit of the afternoon.
In a statement, Mr Beechan added: "Mr Carter had approximately 65 hours of dual flight time on the aircraft type and four hours solo time. The accident flight was his sixth solo flight.
"Multiflight wish to pass on their sympathy to the friends and family of Mr Carter and we are co-operating fully with the AAIB in their investigation into this tragic incident."
Farmer and light aircraft pilot David Cundall, 59, said he was about half a mile (800m) away when he saw the aircraft crash.
He said: "I immediately drove over and on the way got passing motorists to stop and help.
"When I got there the pilot was still strapped into his seat and the canopy of the helicopter was split open.
"It was obvious he had serious injuries and there was nothing I could do for him."
Sandtoft is 16 miles (26km) from Doncaster in South Yorkshire and 12 miles (19km) from Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire.