PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Press at it Again (Continental Q400 crash)
Old 16th Feb 2009, 15:52
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

What a great clip from SNL. NO? Not SNL? You've got to be kidding.

I watched the video clip. No wonder this Yurman guy is a former NTSB investigator. He sounds more like someone (let's call him an expert, for now) who isn't a pilot and who has never flown in icing. You can't see the tail from the cockpit? No sh*t!!!
Maybe he needs to look at those smaller aircraft with NO de-ice boots on the tail and tell us what he thinks.
For me, this video is a completly incredible piece of journalism and only feeds the fear of those in the audience who are, and always will be, afraid of flying.
So who cares about this kind of crap?

While we may easily appreciate what's involved or likely to be the main contributing factor in this accident, I sure wouldn't give this interview a seconds worth of credibility.

Here's what's starting to puzzle me.
Apparently, 11 minutes after departing KEWR the de-ice boots were switched on. The boots cycled from that point till impact. I've also heard through NASA recommendations, the FAA have mandated the Q400 (and others) have its' de-ice boots on while in icing. It's been a few years since I flew with de-ice boots but I've always consider them as de-icing equipment, NOT anti-icicing.
How about yourselves???

Could it be possible? If so, I now understand why this beautiful brand new aircraft is no longer.