PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Migraines
Thread: Migraines
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2009, 05:18
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes, this is sadly true. I was hoping functional MRIs (fMRI) would reveal some interesting insights, but the problems in catching the onset are obvious.

Even if you could contrive to be in the machine just as one was starting, the fact that something as obscure as an evocative piece of music can light up the areas of the brain, indicates how misleading an unknown stimulus might be. In one subject, one piece of music lit up the entire image 'full red'. That surprising result is the subject of considerable research.

I feel that the Sunday syndrome, counters many established ideas. This is about the school teacher that had migraines on her only restful day. Stress is often stimulating, and the last thing to cause classical migraine. However, in your case, the office environment sounds a little like the setting for 'tightening up' muscles round the head.

There is new research into the muscles over the eyes...in the forehead...I think I've posted the name of this cluster on a previous post. Anyway, they inject Botox into the muscle(s) and wait for results. I seem to remember that in about 30% of the cases they get total relief, and the patient then has the nerve to that muscle cut. In the lucky patients, the results are instant.

This thing about muscle tension. In so many cases it's totally counterproductive, and just adds to the suffering. Backs, necks, eyes...solid data about muscles winding up during the day and causing misery.

Again, with great reluctance, I mention Benzodiazepines (eg Valium) as a diagnostic tool. Their unprecedented power in unlocking some of these wound-up muscles is nothing short of astonishing. Their power to ruin lives is nothing short of horrifying. Talk to your doctor about using them for a couple of days to test for a localized muscle spasm. Remember, the link to migraine is somewhat tenuous. Spasm first, perceived threat, then the true migraine by some obscure link.

Always with migraine, the aim should be to remove the cause.

Benzodiazepine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia