PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 16th Feb 2009, 04:30
GlueBall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad (Flt) Scientist While you want to know the AS for reconstruction, you also want to know what the crew saw. Having only (for example) standby IAS recorded would make it impossible to know what the crew were actually flying in terms of AS
Never flown turboprops as such, but in the jet that I fly we also have independent [GPS/IRS] ground speed and wind vector [speed & direction]displays which are included in the instrument scan during final approach.

StudentInDebt ". . . I've yet to see any guidance from my company, my certifying authority or the manufacturer of my type to suggest that I should disconnect the autopilot in icing conditions - should I be concerned?"
I think that you do have some guidance; because there must be something in your manual somewhere that says that you are not constrained from using common sense, and that not all situations, abnormalities or emergency situations can be addressed in your QRH.

As to icing "conditions" it may not be cause for disconnecting your A/P, but if you're "iced up" [Leading edges, window frames . . .] it's cause for increasing airspeed and delaying flap extension and an understanding that your A/P does not "know" how sluggish your airplane has become. Just as your auto brakes do not "know" when you're sliding off the centerline and potentially off the pavement.