PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 16th Feb 2009, 02:51
thirdparty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The following excerpt is from

Bombardier Q400 Flight Evaluation

I leveled at 15,000 feet to perform some clean stalls. Our weight was now 52,480 pounds, and I slowed until the stickshaker activated at 107 KIAS. Stall buffet occurred at 102 KIAS. A stickpusher will be installed on the Q400, but because the stall testing was still ongoing, the system was not yet operational.
Next I performed a stall with 15 degrees of flaps and a 20-degree bank, and the stickshaker activated at 91 KIAS. In the next stall--performed with gear extended, flaps at the landing setting of 35 degrees and Vref at 112 KIAS--the stickshaker activated at 80 KIAS.
In all the stalls, the aircraft was very responsive, and control was positive in both pitch and roll. The aircraft tends to wallow a little as the power comes up, which is typical for a turboprop airplane as the propellers speed up unevenly. The flaps extend smoothly without much ballooning and have very little rumble even when fully extended to 35 degrees.
In the last stall--performed at a flap setting of 15 degrees with the gear down and Vref at 117 KIAS, the stickshaker activated at 93 KIAS. This Vref speed did not have a 5-knot safety factor.
For a single-engine approach, a flap setting of 15 degrees is used to ensure adequate climb performance in the event of a go-around. I set up an approach with a Vref of 117 KIAS, flaps 15, and gear down. I started a go-around, and Warner pulled an engine to zero thrust. The Q400 was very controllable and required a determined lowering of the nose to maintain V2 in the climb. We were climbing at 900 fpm single-engine, and I did not have to apply excessive force to the rudder.