PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you have any advice? Starting PPL in two weeks.
Old 15th Feb 2009, 18:58
Charlie Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where abouts are you flying in Scotland?

I've just joined Tayside flying club at Fife as I'm just about to buy into an aircraft group (handing the money over tomorrow).

Just like other posts above I would suggest trying a few headsets out for comfort. I bought my first headset from Harry Mendelsohn mail order when I was a student (learnt to fly in Cardiff where I used to live). It was one of their own brand and cost me £90 if I remember correctly.

Served me well until I bought a couple of David Clarke 13.4's a few years ago as I had tried them on a few occassions and found them to be excellent. My old headset is still being used now and again when I have a second passenger with me. I've also got a pair from Florida that cost me $50 and they're serving as my fourth set.

Glad to hear you had a great time, it'll just get better and better...

I personally did the Air Law first (school requirement before solo), then Meteorology, Navigation, Aircraft Technical, Human Performance and Radiotelephony (written). The RT practical was non-existant when I did my PPL as it was continual assessment during the CAA PPL course pre-JAA days.

I wasn't as well prepared as you are though and took a few months to take the Air Law exam!!!