PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 Salary & quals south UK
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2009, 17:34
EESDL

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
FAO Martin Grade

We operate a similiar-sized aircraft in a simliar-sounding role.
Feel free to get consultants to contact me if you wish - I might learn something - can I charge them;-)

Our corporate flight department evolved from boss deciding he could justify a fulltime pilot. That fulltime pilot soon decided that flight requirements (range/payload) required an upgrade from existing type - apart from his growing family needing 6-seats (that made it easier to decide!)

Operated out of spare room at home for a while - but demands of job and company PR (sponsors/business partners/investors etc) required more permanent base - especially as aircraft was moved to purpose-built location at Group HQ - thereby reducing Hangarage/landing/nav/atc fees.

We've just put our fulltime co-pilot through his IR and managed to recover 60% costs via 'train to gain' or some other government scheme.
Course qualified as it was not a 'legal' requirement - just enhanced his qualifications/made him a better person etc etc.
This was a bonus but he was undertaking the course anyway!

Although a 'low-time' pilot - intention was very much to develop him in 'company way'.

Enlightened owners like their layers of cotton wool and another pair of eyes in what can be a busy atc environment is considered an invaluable investment.

Captains appreciate same but also someone else to talk to and share fatigue!

We are currently in the process of producing a company ops manual (for pvt use) - another cost to consider perhaps? - although not a legal requirement at the moment - it will be in 2012......EASA Part-OPS

As far as pay goes - you'll get a pilot for 40k
and certainly an IR pilot for 70k
but suggest an offer of 85k (plus usual perks) will attract a pilot with suitable experience and character to look after passengers and aircraft in what can be a very demanding role.

I have found that lesser-experienced pilots tend to be more malleable by irate owners.....exactly what not is required in certain scenarios, I would suggest.

Experience/exposure also enhances decision-making and considering possible 'what-if' scenarios to get the boss where he needs to be and, just as importantly, when he needs to be there!

Operations staff/co-pilot can help with admin but are expenses to be considered. Do not under-estimate the admin side;-) time-consuming and intrusive if allowed to be. Good admin/ops staff are worth their weight in gold.

We currently share staff skills within larger Group - we 'own' 33% of an accounts clerk, 10% of a marketing person, 20% of workshop/hangar manager etc etc Lots of opportunities to take advantage of other skills within Group.

Maintenance overview and checking of their invoices will add to workload.......has anyone else noticed that invoice errors never work in your favour?????
First year of fulltime pilot was virtually 'paid' for by correcting invoice errors - FACT

Is aircraft to be based at an airport? Providing your own fuel can save you up to 30% -generally.

Appreciate you're after a 'sounding board' - further intrigued that someone gets paid for such consultancy - good luck to them!

Note to Diary - ask for re-write of job description - hang on - haven't written it yet!!

As is the way of the world - flight department could be redundant tomorrow - such is corporate aviation!

Last edited by EESDL; 15th Feb 2009 at 18:07.