PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laid-Off Foreigners Flee as Dubai Spirals Down
Old 15th Feb 2009, 12:12
ShinjukuHustler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dubai Banks

Good evening,

Have some cash holed up in HSBC Dubai, does anyone have an informed opinion on the potential fate of the banks there? I know HSBC is a world wide bank and you would assume that UAE branches are insulated from regional losses by the mother ship global entity but these are tough times and some of these things are not always what they seem.

I'm worried about the banks putting a hold on withdrawals to stop a 'dash for cash' Argentinian style but if I transfer it back home to the land of 'sh1t creek no paddle' then Johnny tax man is sure to want a slice.

Treasury bonds are a bubble according to some of the experts. No value in the property market yet, although there probably will be at some point in short to medium term. Invest in stock market?..No way. Horde it in the bank?...other 'experts' claim the dollar's value is artificially high and it will tank soon. Gold is an option I suppose but then where to keep it? I dont want to put it in the bank and don't trust those gold holding companies.

What to do..?

If you are a Nigerian prince needing a loan in order to secure your vast inheritance then don't bother calling me!

Hustle On