PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2009, 09:32
Dirkdec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courtrai railway yards

Hello Reg,

For quite some time I have been researching the raids against Courtrai Railway Yards and Courtrai Airfield (Wevelgem) during WWII. I live only 10 miles from these places.
I have been contacting several veterans of the PFF and Main Force who were involved in the larger raids to Courtrai in order to understand the marking and bombing technique but have never been able to contact a Mosquito crew.
I have read your fascinating report on your war time career and I see that you took part in a raid to Courtrai, being in the third Mosquito of three when seeing a bomb explode behind you.
Could you find back in your logbook on what date this happened and any other detail (like T/O and T/Down). Any other detail you may remember regarding this raid is most welcome: for instance about the height from which you bombed, your experience with flak over the Belgian coast (Knocke was reportedly a dangerous spot to fly over, correct?).
105 Squadron also took part in the marking of Courtrai M/Y on 20/21 July 1944 but at that time you were already with 51 Squadron.
Any help, however brief would be most welcome.

Dirk