PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 15th Feb 2009, 00:05
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
As for the increase in piracy, what about it? Are you saying we should increase/maintain the size of the RN because of the piracy threat?

In hindsight, perhaps I should have done. When it was finally decided to commit forces specifically to countering piracy (remember unchecked piracy means high premiums for shipping insurance, which ends up passed on to the consumer) it meant that the Falklands was left without a frigate or destroyer for several months. Perhaps when the then First Sea Lord (Admiral West) told of Commons' Defence Select Commitee (back in late 2004 or 2005) that the RN's own analysis was that the UK needed "about thirty" frigates/destroyers, he was thinking of this sort of extra commitment?

I think there are also Maritime Patrol Aircraft in the Gulf of Aden/Somalia area.

I choose not to reply at the time (I didn't bite)

As for maritime terrorism, the fact is that it has happened. It would be sensible to maintain defences against it. Likewise, making life difficult for the terrorist demands maintaining forces in places like the Med, Arabian Sea etc. It places new demands on naval aviation assets, both Lynx/Merlin flights embarked aboard frigates/destroyers or sometimes other platforms, and for Merlin and Sea King ASaCs squadrons.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 3rd Jun 2009 at 17:05.