PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Pilots of PPRuNe
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2009, 15:04
White Shadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gliding Reminiscence

On returning from WW2 flying, I joined Cambridge University Gliding Club and did some gliding, and towing with the CU Flying Club's Tiger Moth (gaining height with the T31 on tow was a a long, slow business). Then Lands End Gliding Club, cliff-soaring in their Blanik, and towing with their Auster, with occasional wave-soaring when the wind direction and strength formed wave over the airfield from the Irish mountains. Later, when there was no easily accessible gliding club where I lived, I changed to SLMGs - Fourniers. At Yeovilton the RN gliding club had the use of a lovely, privately-owned SFS31 Milan, which we could fly when the Navy aircraft weren't training on the field. Then at Exeter I flew my own RF4D, and a sydicate RF6B. I took them all over the UK. Not nearly the performance of a modern sailplane, but enough to soar the sea-breeze front along the S Devon coat East of Exeter, and I appreciated the ability to turn on the engine when there was no lift about (or I couldn't find it or stay in it). A lovely flight one beautiful late-summer day was Exeter - Severn-Bridges - Shobdon - Hawarden - LLandudno and around Snowdon to Caernarfon - Borth - Swansea, and across Exmoor back to Exeter. A mixture of soaring, and engine-on through the rotors and down-draughts downwind of Snowdon. The best of both worlds.