PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raising funds
Thread: Raising funds
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2009, 14:42
mcbenny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there from Italy!

It's more than a year since I started my career as a truck driver here in Italy. Currently driving across Europe, mainly Germany, Belgium, France, Austria, The Netherlands... Getting veeeeery envious everytime I drive close to an airfield (today I was loading my truck near Graz airport when a Lauda 737-800 took off...)
It's a long road to save all that money for fATPL + Type Rating and it's tough life also, I sleep on the truck 6 out of 7 days a week. I have a daily budget for food, I'm not going to buy a car to drive to work on the weekends, I prefer to use the bus+train combination which, although often uncomfortable, makes me save money.
Spending 1 day a week at home only, I'm not required to leave my parents any money so most of my pay goes to my deposit account.
Very little time to have fun at the end of the week
I haven't got my own family, not currently engaged so I'm free to handle my life as I want.
3 more years and I should reach my target budget, but I can tell you that I'd have no problems in driving my truck for additional months, better be well covered financially than rushing the beginning of the ATPL.
I'm of course opting for the modular route, but I'm gonna do it full-time so when I decide to start the fATPL I'll quit my driver job.
I passed my Class 1 at Gatwick a couple of years ago, I haven't renewed it so far, it was just to see if I was medical fit for Commercial flying.

In case something goes wrong (you never knows) I always have my driving license in my pocket but of course I'm heading to that beloved RHS!!!!

Just my opinion and the way I've decided to solve the financial problems, my parents too can't help me even though they've spent a fortune on their new house
Whichever you decide to do...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND TO ALL OF US WANNABES, NEVER GIVE UP!!!