PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visual Separation
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2002, 09:33
RevStar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Visual Separation

G'day all,

I have a couple of questions regarding the visual separation used in successive visual approaches (ICAO 4444 PANS-RAC Part IV).

How comfortable are you guys (APP) in using them? - in fact, do you use them? I know in the States they're in fairly common use, but what about Europe (assuming VMC)? Are you able to keep a full picture when responsibility is delegated?

Also, are there any 'common' safety issues you've seen (e.g. misidentification of target aircraft)

My purpose in asking this is because I'm involved in designing the ops procedures for ASAS spacing (i.e. the same as visual approaches, but using a cockpit display to find the traffic - ASAS being airborne separation assurance system).... and I'm not esp. happy at it being based on visual approaches which, although being more efficient than controller vectoring most of the time, can have safety implications. Incidentally, under this new procedure, controllers would still keep separation assurance (unlike visual approaches, where it transfers to the flight deck), and it would be an instruction, not a clearance (and the flightcrew would have to accept the spacing task except in emergency). It's currently being trialed in the US and Europe, so may come into practice by 2004/5.